Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Few Things I've Learned

 Being along time garment sewer. Both for me, manufacture and custom I have learned a few things that I use in quilting.

Now mind you I am not the best machine quilter. But I do okay at it. Pretty good at piecing.  I have found that some things works in both quilting and garment sewing.

1. Buy the best fabric you can. With that being said, we've all seem fabric in retail stores that catches our eye and have bought. Not all fabric at these stores are bad quality but some are and will not hold up. If I'm doing a quilt that will be given away or that I will be washing a lot, it needs to not fade or bleed. Nothing like working on a large quilt and it bleed. Yuk

2. Measure your fabric. The saying measure twice cut once is for a reason. 

3. Good Thread. Some stores don't get rid of thread when it ages and the stuff just want hold up.

4. Change your needle and use the correct size Now I use Organ Needles. And they do well. I have found for me to use a 90/14 for quilting.

5. Clean your machine. Most machines are alittle pricey and you want them to run along time.

6. Make a sample swatch. Check the tension and correct seam allowance.  

7. Check your fabric before purchase. I have bought only to get home and see that it was faded at the fold.  Yes, most stores will exchange, but when I get home, and start cutting I don't want to have to go back to the store. especially since I like bout 25 miles away. On way.

8. I know there is some that do and some that don't, But again if it's going to bleed I want to know. Wash you fabric. I wash everything except pre-cuts. I do wash fat quarter's. I did this on garment and it served me well. 

9. I personally press my fabric. Dry Iron with starch before cutting. Dry Iron with alittle spritz of water if needed while piecing. Press thru each step. That way your seams will lay flatter. Some seams lay flatter when pressed open. 

10. The greatest thing I learn is: There is no quilt police. Its your design. You do not have to do it like everyone else. Have Fun. Its a journey not a race.

No comments:

Post a Comment